Most wholesale insurance brokers are aware of LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook as potential marketing platforms. But there are a wide range of others as well—some that focus more on the visual than on text-based updates. A picture may say a thousand words, and video might be a great sales tool—but can visual social media platforms work for brokers?
The answer is that yes, they can. We’ll focus on Pinterest, Instagram, and YouTube to talk about how you can build an audience for your wholesale insurance brokerage using images and video rather than text.
Instagram. Instagram lets you share photos and videos, both on its own platform and across your other social media accounts. It doesn’t let you include clickable links when you upload those images and videos, however, so it’s important that you link to your brokerage website and include your branding in your profile. Hashtags are also important; do some research first to see which in your industry are trending, and don’t overdo it with more than three or so.
Here are a few ideas for wholesale insurance brokers using Instagram:
- Friendly and approachable pics of your employees at the office.
- Candid pics from office parties, trade shows, and corporate events.
- Photos that represent the products and lines of business you specialize in.
- GIFs and memes with a tie-in to common issues your clients face.
Pinterest. Pinterest is essentially a bulletin board platform, letting you assemble and curate photos from all over the web. You can also take and upload your own pictures, and include a short description. You can have separate boards for numerous topics—including your corporate events, blog posts, and products—or you can have a single board for your entire brokerage.
Here are a few ideas for how to use Pinterest:
- Make a board to pin all your blog posts (make sure each post has an image).
- Upload fun, approachable pics of your staff at the office or industry events.
- Make a board highlighting your brokerage in the news, including press releases and articles.
- Make a board for all your company awards.
- Showcase images that represent the products and lines of business you focus on.
- Create a resource board that highlights industry-related articles and websites.
YouTube: YouTube is for more than just cat videos. There are plenty of ways you can make your wholesale insurance business visible using it. When using YouTube, it’s best to adopt a less corporate tone; the idea is to appear relatable as well as professional. You can increase your audience by giving shout-outs to other YouTubers who have a similar audience.
Here are some ideas for YouTube:
- Film short interviews with your brokers on how they got into the business.
- Upload your webinars to YouTube.
- Break webinars up into short video clips on key topics.
- Film short interviews with staff detailing how they solved challenging issues for clients’ insureds.
Visual social media channels can be great platforms for wholesale insurance brokers. When using these, it’s best to focus on being relatable and approachable while maintaining a professional tone; avoid seeming too corporate. Don’t be afraid to get creative—and you’re likely to do well no matter which platform you choose.